The V62 form [A Complete Guide]

The V62 form could prevent any hassle that comes with not having a V5C to hand.

It might not be the most “well-known” or recognised car registry document, but it’s essential you know about it if you don’t have access to the all-important V5C.

So, what exactly is the V62 form? How does it work? And how do you need to fill it in? Read below, where we have the answers to all your questions about the V62 form.

What is a V62 form?

A V62 form is an official DVLA document that you can use to apply for a vehicle registration certificate, which is also known as the vehicle logbook, or a V5C.

Every time you buy a new vehicle you should receive its vehicle registration certificate, but in the event that it needs to be replaced or it’s yet to arrive via DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) following your vehicle registration, you can use a V62 form to get a replacement.

You do not necessarily need to fill out a V62 form though if you need a duplicated replacement logbook. If you do not need to change any details in the log book, you can get a duplicate vehicle logbook (V5C) online instead.

Take a look below and see what a V62 form looks like, or clicking on the following PDF link: V62 Form.

What is a V5C or vehicle registration certificate?

Also simply known as the V5 from, the V5C logbook is the most important document when it comes to vehicle registration. It officially registers your vehicle with the DVLA and contains all your it’s important details such as it’s make, model and age.

Can I tax a car with a V62 form?

Yes, you can tax a car, or any other vehicle, with a V62 form. Usually, you’d use the vehicle’s V5C document or a green ‘new keeper’ slip to tax it, but if you have neither of those or are waiting for new versions of these documents to arrive to you, you can instead use a V62 form. However, this will require you to pay the V62 form fee.

Do check though whether you still have a V11 tax reminder anywhere, because the details provided on that document could enable you to tax your car without needing to fill out a V62 form.

You can also transfer a private number plate to your vehicle via a V62 if you don’t have your V5C certificate to hand.

What is the green ‘new keeper’ slip?

The green ‘new keeper’ slip is used to exchange ownership of vehicles. It’s known as the V5C2 form because it’s included in the V5C vehicle registration document. And it’s also recognised for being the obvious green section of the document.

If you’re selling a car, you must give the car’s green ‘new keeper’ slip to the new owner so they can fill it out and become the newly registered keeper of the car. They then will have to send the slip off to the DVLA who will then recognise them as the person responsible for the keeping the car taxed, insured and safe to drive on the roads.

Read our article on the V5C new keeper slip and find out more about changing a vehicle’s keeper.

Can I do a V62 form online?

No, you cannot fill out a V62 application form online, but you can download a form via the GOV.UK website. On their website they have a page dedicated to ‘Applying for a vehicle registration certificate (form V62)’ and it’s there that you can download and print off a V62 form.

As we’ve stated previously though, if you just need a duplicated V5C logbook that requires no details to be changed, you can go through the process of getting a new vehicle logbook via the GOV.UK website too.

Can I get a V62 form from the local Post Office?

Yes, you can get a V62 form from the Post Office. You might need to double check though that your main Post Office deals with vehicle tax, because usually it’s only those branches that have V62 forms available.

You can double check whether your local Post Offices will have V62 forms available by using the Post Office branch finder.

How much does a V62 form cost?

To apply for a new V5C via the V62 form it’ll cost you £25.

There are, however, circumstances where you do not need to pay a fee, such as:

  • You are the new keeper of the vehicle and the previous owner failed to tell the DVLA about the change. In this case you must have the green ‘new keeper’ slip and send it to us along with the V62 form.
  • If the insurance company has categorised the vehicle as C or S and they have destroyed the V5C.

How to pay for the V62 form

This depends on how you send the from to the DVLA. If you post the form in your local post box, the £25 fee needs to be as a cheque or postal order, payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’. Be aware that the DVLA will not accept cash sent in an envelope.

If you process the application via your local Post Office you should be able to pay the £25 fee there whilst sending off your from with cash, debit card or credit card.

How to fill in a V62 form

After you’ve read the first page of V62 form, there’s five sections you need to then fill out. These are:

1.     Vehicle details

In this section you’ll need to provide your vehicle’s registration number, its make and model, its colour, its tax class, it’s engine size and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The VIN number can either on the chassis or near the bottom of the windscreen.

2.     Keeper’s details

This section is quite self-explanatory too, you just need to provide various details about yourself, such as your current address. This also includes your email address and phone number.

As well as that, you also need to state whether the vehicle will be ‘For company use only’ and or if it’s part of a vehicle fleet.

3.     Why don’t you have a V5C?

The third section of the V62 form asks you to clarify why you do not have a V5C document. You need to put a cross in the box next to either:

  • It’s been lost stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
  • I bought the vehicle from the previous keeper or motor trader and I have not received a V5C yet.
  • I cannot produce it for another reason (You then have a section below where you can give a reason.)

4.     Fee

Section 4 basically just clarifies whether you are sending off this form to the DVLA with the £25 fee you owe when submitting a V62 form.

You can state that you will be sending off £25 with the form, or make it clear why you have chosen not to send off the fee.

5.     Declaration

This is the final section of the V62 form. Here you just need to write down the date, the vehicle’s mileage and your signature.

And that’s it! You’re ready to send off your V62 form to the DVLA.

Where do I need to send the V62 form?

If you’ve printed and filled out a physical V62 form, you need to send it to DVLA at this address:

DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD

How long does a V62 form application take?

From the day you send off your V62 form to the DVLA, you should receive the V5C document within two to four weeks.

If you’re already recognised as the registered keeper of the vehicle, you should receive your new V5C within two weeks, and if there has been a change in vehicle ownership, the process will likely take around four weeks.

If you’re yet to receive a V5C form after the four-week period, DVLA state that you should allow at least six weeks before getting in touch with them.

Click here to find out all the ways you can get in contact with the DVLA, whether it be over the phone, by email, by post, or by webchat.


A V62 form’s primary purpose is to get you out of the sticky situation that is, needing a new V5C registration certificate. Maybe your V5C needs to be replaced, or you need a temporary solution so that you can still tax your vehicle whilst you wait for your certificate to arrive from the DVLA.

For £25 (either as a cheque or postal order), along with a filled-out V62 form, the DVLA will send you a new V5C document for your vehicle. You can either get your hands on a form in a Post Office and fill it out there, or download and print a V62 that can be found on the GOV.UK website. Both ways you will be applying by post, and you can typically expect to have a V5C replacement to your door within four weeks. The £25 should be made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’.

Alternatively, if you didn’t get a V5C when buying the car you can apply via the same method for free. You just need to supply the green ‘new keeper’ slip (V5C2) with your completed form.

Do you need car insurance, but you’re not sure which policy is the right choice for you? Get in touch with Howden today and find out more about car cover and how it can support you.

You can also read: