Brexit – Driving in and travelling to the EU

Good News – No Green Cards needed after 2 August 2021

The European Commission has agreed to scrap the need for British motorists to prove they have third party insurance when driving in EU countries.

Not only will this help drivers in Northern Ireland when travelling across the border into Southern Ireland, but for those crossing the channel to Europe, it’s one less thing for British drivers to have to worry about.

Previously, if Brits didn’t have a green card, they could have been fined, prosecuted or had their vehicle impounded. But from 2 August 2021, these measures are being withdrawn.

If you’re driving to Europe before 2 August, you will still need to carry a Green Card – please call your local branch and we can arrange this for you. It’s also advisable that after 2 August, you continue to have a Green Card (until September), whilst border controls update their processes and align to this new ruling.

All EU countries, as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have confirmed that International Driving Permits will not be required by UK visitors with Photocard driving licences. The full list of recommendations for driving abroad where an IDP may be required is available on:

Drivers taking a vehicle abroad for less than 12 months should carry the vehicle’s log book (V5) or a VE103 for hired or leased vehicles:

Other documentation and things to be aware of

Passports: You’ll still need to make sure you have a valid passport with a minimum of six months left before it expires. So it’s worth checking the expiry date now to ensure that you have sufficient time to renew it before you travel.

EHIC Cards: If you have an existing European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), this will be valid if you’re travelling to an EU country, although it’s advisable to get travel insurance.

Pet passports: If you’re taking a pet with you, you’ll need to carry an Animal Health Certificate (ACH) as the existing pet passport scheme will no longer be used. You can find out more on the Government website here.

Travelling for business: If you’re travelling for business, there will be additional things you need to organise, particularly if you’re staying for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in the EU and more. Check out the Government’s website for more information.